Serving Our Communities During COVID-19
Since COVID landed in our region, we have been to extremely grateful for all of the continued support from our guests, Market & Grocery customers, suppliers, farmers, partners, purveyors, and all of our friends and neighbors in Northern Virginia, Montgomery County, MD, all eight wards of Washington, D.C., and Montgomery County, PA.
Over the last several months, we have been doing our very best to support our frontline workers and our communities during these challenging times. Working with new and existing partners and adapting our operations, we have built new ways to serve our communities, including:
- Providing 17,720 meals and grocery items to help feed people and families across our communities, including over 13,000 to DC’s Wards 7 & 8.
- Delivering over 3,600 meals to local area hospitals and first responders through partnerships with Feed the Fight, as well as individual donations. This includes Sibley, Children’s National, MedStar Washington Hospital Center, George Washington University Hospital, Inova, Georgetown University Medical Center, National Institutes of Health, Washington DC VA Medical Center, DC Fire & EMS, and the U.S. Capitol Police.
- Delivering over 300 meals to housebound elders and those in need across DC and Northern Virginia through our partnership with Last Call for Food.
- Providing 2,000 individually packaged and freshly prepared meals per week to DC’s most vulnerable residents through our partnership with World Central Kitchen.
- Using flour donated through our North Dakota farmers and former Senator Heidi Heitkamp to make and donate 200 loaves of bread to DC Central Kitchen. We are continuing to provide ongoing supplies from our farmers across the Midwest when our North Dakota Farmers Union truck comes to town.
- Supplying over 450 gallons of our Founding Spirits Hand Sanitizer to hospitals, first responders, healthcare workers, and others across our communities. Founding Spirits pivoted operations to begin making Hand Sanitizer following a WHO recipe in response to urgent community needs.
- Supporting Best Buddies with a percentage of our sales for a family meal specifically created for their Best Buddies PROM: The Virtual Celebration, a program developed to honor and recognize program participants, buddy pairs, and dedicated volunteers during COVID-19.
- 1,995 restaurant meals at 50% off for first responders.
As we all continue to combat COVID-19 and prepare for responsible reopening across our restaurants, we will keep serving our communities by delivering meals and supplies to hospitals, healthcare workers, and first responders, providing food to those in need, working with private donors and our partners at World Central Kitchen, Last Call for Food, and Feed the Fight and providing groceries and provisions for curbside pick up and delivery. We will continue to work every day to keep our communities and our teams safe, healthy, and fed.